Sunday, October 27, 2013

Time for new repertoire!

The CD is mostly recorded (only one retake session left, we hope...), the hour-long solo concert is finished, so now what? Oh yes -- I can take on some new repertoire now!

It's fun to play new pieces with no deadline for a change. I'm working on some Chopin that I haven't really explored before: the utterly gorgeous Impromptu in F# major. The notes are not difficult but there are many subtleties that will take me a long time to absorb and bring out fully, I think. I am also happily diving into a piece I have wanted to learn for ages: Tombeau de Couperin by Ravel. It looks back at the French Baroque, sort of, while mainly looking back at the devastation of World War I and the deaths of friends, through the lens of darkly beautiful music.

Also on the list are a Bach French Suite, the last three of the Schumann Fantasiestucke Op. 12, and various etudes.

Playtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment