Wednesday, December 12, 2012

New free recording! Debussy

"Ce qu'a vu le vent d'Ouest," roughly "What the west wind saw." From book 1 of the Preludes by Claude Debussy.

It took me a long time to feel like I know how this piece goes. I learned all the notes but that was just the beginning. So much of this is wild sound effects that it was hard to find the musical tissue underneath (or to figure out if there was in fact musical tissue underneath.) I think now that the rhythms are the most important structural part of the piece. With lots of wild sound effects on top. Roiling clouds! Gusts! Moments of calm! Lightning! Random objects flying around!

By the way, if any of my Amherst Ballet friends are reading this, the storm music for "Tempest" was an orchestrated version of this Prelude.

I am new to Soundcloud and it appears that direct links to this recording sometimes work and sometimes do not work. I do not know why. I am certain that the embedded player (top right corner of this blog) will work. The image is a painting that looks exactly like this piece: "The West Wind" by Winslow Homer (public domain). Clicking on it should take you to Soundcloud. If not, just use the embedded player.



No comments:

Post a Comment